Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Be the Match

On Sunday, I stumbled upon a great opportunity to help someone.

After a race in the city, I was walking through the race expo, which consists mostly of sports nutrition promotion, upcoming athletic events, and coupons to outdoor companies. Unexpectedly, a woman approached me, JR, and Tracy and encouraged us to visit the Bone Marrow Transplant tent. Instead of offering us food or coupons, the people at this particular tent offered us a chance to give.

Turns out, there is an organization (Be the Match) that organizes a registry to match bone marrow donors with those who need it most. After filling out the paperwork and taking four quick swabs in my mouth, I was registered! I think this is an important cause, and I encourage my readers to participate in becoming a donor. The website states "Thousands of patients with leukemia and other life-threatening diseases depend on the Be The Match Registry to find a match to save their life. Patients need donors who are a genetic match. Even with a registry of millions, many patients cannot find a match. Donors with diverse racial or ethnic backgrounds are especially needed."

Want more information? Check out their website here:

Be The Match

No comments: