Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Update: DCPS Competition

I've been absent from blogging for too long. I apologize. As a result, I want to update y'all one of my latest adventures.

First, four other graduate students and I recently competed in a case competition in Washington DC. The case was one of engendering public support for the highly publicized (lauded and criticized) DCPS administration of Michelle Rhee. My team (three public policy students, JR, and I) struggled mightily to be innovative, succinct, and powerful with our presentation. The route to our final product was circuitous, arduous, and stressful. Nevertheless, through our deliberation, collaboration, and isolated reflection, we pushed, pulled, compromised, and reached a strong final product.

Our platform revolved around localizing the DCPS agenda. Specifically we proposed innovation grants to provide local stakeholders to apply for money that they could spend in their community; funded showcases to celebrate local ward achievements and continuing progress; and ward organizers to bridge the district leaders with the teachers, parents, and students at the individual school level.


Left to right: Marialena, JR, Michelle Rhee (Chancellor), Danielle, Paul, and me


Without knowing how this platform would be received, we made a pact to be the most jubilant, passionate, and relaxed team. And from the moment we reached DC, we carried out this goal! We laughed, we conversed, and we really enjoyed ourselves. I loved struggling, laughing, and constructing with my teammates, who were becoming fast friends.

In the end, our message and approach paid off. We won 2nd place, which included $3,000 and summer internship offers. Looking back, for me, it was amazing professional development, priceless exposure to the movers and shakers in the ed policy world, and an opportunity to try on my policy legs.

No comments: