Friday, December 3, 2010

Divine Opinions

I recently had a political discussion with a friend. She acknowledged that, despite her moderate views, she believes on most social issues, "there just is no other side to it".

I remembered this conversation when I read news based on the pentagon report that 70% of service men and women polled about the Don't Ask Don't Tell (DADT) policy were in favor of allowing openly gay members in the military. Other headlines read,

and

Since when do the principles of democracy apply to civil rights issues? Why did we need 70% of service members to tell us, that, in their humble opinion, there would be no negative ramifications of the repeal?

Oliver Duggan deplored this paradox: Instead of celebrating the results of the poll, we should ensure the civil rights of a group are never again left to the opinion of the majority (think: any civil rights historical example).

This is what Gary Olsen was referring to in his 2007 article in the Chronicle of Higher Education, on the 'Apotheosis' of opinion. That is, exalting a subject to a divine level.
Here he laments,

"Apparently, nowadays an opinion will trump a fact, a reasoned argument, an empirically verified observation -- even a treatise by an eminent scholar. An opinion is the great equalizer, and everyone has one. It silences all arguments, squelches all dialogue: That's your opinion. End of discussion."

Further,

"...others are training themselves not to become critical thinkers, not to search for evidence or support of an assertion, and not to hold themselves or others accountable for the assertions they make."

We are perpetuating these notions when we leave critical policy decisions up to opinion. I can picture it now - the anti-DADT politicians in Washington, fingers crossed, waiting for the results of the poll, and thinking,

"Gee, I really hope the service members don't think our ideas are too dangerous for the military".






2 comments:

Naomi said...

Tracy, I so agree. Sometimes the masses don't know best... this is why we have a democratic republic.

nick said...

While I agree that allowing the the popular vote may be problematic in a number of scenarios, this is not how I felt hearing this news at 5am this morning when my NPR-blasting alarm woke me. Instead I first thought "I don't want to get up" but then I thought "That's awesome!....Finally!"