Friday, April 17, 2009

My crotch hurts, but otherwise it feels great to be back.


One year ago, I was preparing for my first half ironman. Class was an afterthought, and I was putting in serious miles in Athens and Winder, GA. It's hard for me to admit, but my first year of grad school has crippled my cycling. After the MS150 in September, I hit the road only twice. I'm unsure whether school got in the way or Louie's absence caused it, but regardless, I shouldn't make excuses.

However, that has all changed! For the past three weeks, I have tackled some of the Bay Area's best hills and views. I have been riding Mt. Diablo and Berkeley's Three Bears with two other guys, JR and Oliver. JR, a fellow PhD student in the school of education, and Oliver, a Microsoft man who works in the city and boasts a killer British accent, are both incredibly enjoyable people with intimidating athletic resumes. Our rides have been a thrilling reprieve from academia and a much-nee
ded return to saddle. And I've never been more proud to sit awkwardly in class because my butt hurts from the weekend ride.

For better or for worse, this rekindled love has also stoked my spending bug. On deck, I am upgrading my wheelset!

Not to be out done, Tc, Mom, and Newt have been logging serious miles of their own lately. And Lou and Naomi are racing in Birmingham this weekend... So until later, here's to the joy of cycling!


J.R. and Oliver on Mt. Diablo

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Bicycles and crotch chaffage are awesome. I'm glad you're back in the proverbial saddle again!

BAMF! (You know I had to do it...)