Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cycling Diablo

Happy Father's Day! While I wish I could have seen my dad today, I had a great day. And here's the news of the day:

Tracy always seems to underestimate her abilities on the bike, so I thought Mount Diablo would be a good challenge for her. Last week Lou shipped her bike from Georgia, and this was our first weekend to ride together since September, 2008! Trace and I were up at 6am, and our wheels were down at 7am. I was hoping Tracy would summit, but no matter what, it was nice get outside with my girl and get some exercise.

As it turned out,
Tracy rocked it! After two hours of climbing (and Tracy chatting the whole way), we topped Diablo at 9am. The views were spectacular. We stopped at the summit for a couple pictures and to call our dads. Before posting the pictures, I should confess something else. On our descent, I hit/ran over a squirrel. It was awful, because I don't think I killed it. It just dragged itself off the road. Sorry little guy. Now to the pictures...



Tracy climbing. The views are ridiculous. If you're reading this, come out and ride!



Getting out early was key, because we beat the heat and the cars. It was a quiet ascent.



Tracy's first ascent of Diablo! I was more excited than she was. In fact, this picture is evidence of that. I said, "Trace, you're doing awesome! I'm going to ride ahead, because I want to get a picture of your summit. You're killing it!" Tracy just nodded and kept peddling. I never thought I'd be that guy who needs that picture, but I'm glad I have this one. All I need now is the fanny-pack.


The person who took this had also cycled Diablo on his bike, except that he was at least 70 years old. We were so impressed. In fact, we witnessed lots of old people climbing as we descended. They were so inspirational.


Classic. Perfect day.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Oooh, Lou and I are sooo jealous! Looks like an amazing ride!