Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Present Tense of Education

Recently, I have come across two provocative publications about the current state of education. It has sparked much debate in my own mind, and I'd like to share with my readers (small in number, yet high in devotion).

Study: Achievement Gap Narrows between White, Black Students


A CNN report that reveals recent numbers about the achievement gap. Here are two notable quotes that I believe are true.
"Society can pay for it now, or they can pay for it later," Newell said. "And they can pay for it by looking at our prison system, by looking at a shortage of talent in our workforce. And so when they look at it, not preparing all of our children now will affect us all later." Later, Kevin Huffman stated, "Aside from the short-term scores-oriented effect of narrowing the achievement gap, the long-term effect is one of a moral and economic obligation."

Should Everyone Go to College


A balanced and thought-provoking commentary about the utility and accessibility of higher education.

That's all for now. Rereading this, I feel incredibly idealistic and youthful, but the issues should be on the table, even if only blogged by 22 year-olds.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Couple of thoughts about the first article-- how would the data be different if they looked at economics as well. I know that you can't attribute SES to all racial issues, but they study seems to be talking about race and SES at the same time with differentiating.

Also, Mama suggested sharing this data with my students as fodder for discussion. What are your thoughts on that?

Naomi said...

And as far as high ed, I can't post everything I'm thinking in a little comment box, but I think the President is on the right track supporting community colleges over universities. I don't think the idea that all Americans should have at least one year of post- high school ed is too optimistic.