Thursday, July 1, 2010

Highschooler Wisdom

One of my more enjoyable endeavors this summer has been teaching a Sociology course to gifted/talented high school students. As my first true teaching endeavor (outside of subbing and special ed paraprofessional), I have had the liberty to create a course from scratch. With such freedom comes absolute responsibility!

I have taken several measures to get feedback from my students. I want to make sure that they're learning, having fun, and being challenged. One measure has been a notecard activity to conclude each class period. It works like this: I pass out a blank notecard to each student. They are asked to annonymously write any feedback on the card. It can range from activities they enjoyed, suggestions for improvement, aspects of the material that they still find confusing, or more holistic updates on themselves as people.

As a result, I have received some very helpful feedback! Students are free to tell me what works and what does not work. Some students, however, have taken the opportunity to write some very funny comments on their cards. Here, I would like to share a few with you! Soon, you will be nostalgic for the awkwardness that we all embodied as highschoolers (maybe me more than others)! Enjoy.

"You are fairly bipolar."

[Next day's notecard--presumably from the same student]
"Not bipolar! You were high all day today."

"Great explanations of Marx. Do you gel your hair?"

"Start using Southeastern terms. Dance and sing, too."

"There were lots of crumbs on the table today."

Again, anomolies from some very constructive feedback, but funny anomolies nonetheless.

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I laughed out loud at these. Too funny!

Susan said...

Neat! Keep sharing. Besides good stories from and about students, I miss having a good source of jokes, albeit some elementary ones, but at least I could remember those!

marc said...

As a former teacher of and survivor from high school students for almost 30 years, I miss the honesty and sponteneity of their classroom comments. I wish I had written them all down and written a book. Maybe you can do this.